Khoubz Arabieh is the term for Arabic-style flatbreads. They are great for holding fillings such as kebabs or to dip sauces such as hummus and besira.Pita Bread is usually cooked in the communal wood-fired oven that can reach extremely high temperatures and which is found in most towns and villages. Make sure you have your oven set at the highest possible setting for best result.
Makes 8 pitas
preparation time: 1 hour. plus 1 hour 30 minutes proving
- 1 oz. fresh yeast
- Pinch of sugar
- 1% cups warm water
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- Plus extra for dusting
- ½ tsp salt
- Sunflower oil for greasing
- 3 bowls
- 2 dish towels
- 3 large cookie sheets
- Rolling pin
- Cooking rack
- In a bowl, mix the yeast with the sugar and tbsp. of the water and leave the Liquid to become bubbly. About 10-15 minutes. mix the flour and salt and in a mixing bowl, make a well in the center, add yeast mix the mixture, and then work into a dough with the remaining water to a firm consistency. Knead for 10 minutes.
- When the dough is smooth and pliable, shape into a ball, place in a lightly greased bowl, cover with a plastic wrap or a damp dish towel, and set aside in a warm place for 1-1 ½ hours or until doubled in in volume (1. opposite).
- Preheat the oven to 5000F or to its highest setting. Turn out the dough onto a floured surface. punch down the dough, then divide into eight equal portions. roll each portion into a bell, dust with flour. place on a board, cover with a dry dish towel. And proof for another 15 minutes(2. Opposite).
- Grease three large cookie sheets lightly with oil and place in the hot oven for 5 minutes. Roll out each ball of dough on a floured surface with a floured rolling pin into a rough circle about 6 in diameter (3. opposite). transfer two or three at a time to a hot cookie sheet. Cook in the oven for about 6 minutes until puffed up but still quite pale in color. Repeat with the remaining pitas. cooking them a few at a time
- Place on a cooling rack, then cover with a dish towel to keep them soft.
- Now ready your Pita Bread
Go to the My other Recipes-Click here
Go to the this Recipe in other site-Click here